Re: periods and deadlines in SCHED_DEADLINE

From: Raistlin
Date: Sat Jul 10 2010 - 03:50:43 EST

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 16:32 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 15:38 +0200, Raistlin wrote:
> > - do you think it could be useful to have a different syscall to deal
> > with the period parameter (if it's different from deadline), e.g.,
> > something useful to make the task periodic as you have (if I remember
> > well) in Xenomai or RTAI?
> > If you think it's worth doing that, do you think the
> > task_wait_interval() syscall that we already added could/should do
> > the job?
>
> Again, I'm afraid I need some extra education here in order to make a
> sensible comment.

Hey, fine, where's the problem? :-P

> What are the exact semantics of this extra proposed syscall?

Right now, it is:
task_wait_interval(t) --> "wake me up at the first instant after t when
you can give me my full runtime"

> What exactly are the benefits over not having it, and simply rely on the
> task to not wake up more often, but if it does have it run into the lack
> of budget and sort it that way?

What you're saying obviously will always work, and it is actually a
quite common usage pattern (we use it like that a lot! :-)).

The new syscall might help when it is important for a task to
synchronize with the budget provisioning mechanism. It might be
uncommon, but there could be situations --more in hard than in soft
scenarios-- where you want to be sure that you're next job (and all the
subsequent ones, if you behave well) will get its full runtime, even if
this means waiting a little bit.

what I was wondering was if this semantic should be modified by the
introduction of the "period", but I also agree with Luca that we must do
our best to avoid confusion!

Regards,
Dario
Dario Faggioli, ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (Italy)

http://blog.linux.it/raistlin / raistlin@xxxxxxxxx /
dario.faggioli@xxxxxxxxxx