Re: [ANNOUNCE v2] ktest.pl: Easy and flexible testing script forLinux Kernel Developers (now with config bisect)

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Nov 18 2010 - 06:49:49 EST

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 02:03 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 18:45 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>
> > It compiles, and performs the type of test specified by the
> > CONFIG_BISECT_TYPE option (build, boot or test). If it passes, then all
> > the configs that were enabled in the .config are removed from the
> > configs to test and added to the good configs to always enable. This
> > allows for configs in the other half to be enabled if they depended on
> > these configs.
>
> Haven't had time to play, but I was thinking about this when bisecting
> an i915 bug last week. In that case none of the kernels failed to boot,
> they just had busted modelines. Do you have support in this tool for
> testing some condition on the system after it boots? I would guess I
> probably would have needed something more heavyweight (that could run a
> script to look for busted modes on the target after booting).

If you set:

BISECT_TYPE = test
TEST = ssh user@host test_script

Where the test_script resides on the test target, and will exit with 0
on success and non-0 otherwise, it should work.

I could also change the code to give you access to the bootlog (actually
you already have it, but it's in the temp directory).

-- Steve