Re: [Patch] acpi: introduce "acpi_addr=" parameter for kdump

From: Cong Wang
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 02:32:06 EST

ä 2011å03æ21æ 23:56, Vivek Goyal åé:

Matthew and I were chatting in general about it couple of days back and
mattew suggested how about if we embrace the idea of booting the kernel
always in physical mode (both first and second) and keep that extra set
of pagetables around to make EFI calls. That way kexec/kdump should just
work and kernel changes also might not be too much.

The potential problem with this is that this might expose various kind
of BIOS issues with different vendors as vendors might not test the
physical path.

First I have to say I know a little about EFI.

I am wondering what benefits we will lose if we use physical mode?
comparing it with virtual mode? If very few, this could be a solution.

Thanks.