Re: BITS handling of CPU microcode updates

From: Burt Triplett
Date: Fri Mar 25 2011 - 03:06:11 EST

On 3/24/2011 2:46 PM, Andi Kleen wrote:
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh<hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Very well, I will send patches to fix that behaviour, as well as some
other stuff I noticed that was not updated to match the recommended
actions documented by the SDM and some Intel application notes.

I don't think you can easily -- there's no kernel interface
to distingush the "explicit user action" case from automatic loading.

Correct, but the microcode module can still implement the "automatic loading" case, as Henrique's patch does.

I suppose all the test labs have learned by now how to disable
automatic updates ...

The microcode driver's current unsigned revision checking happens to treat negative revisions as large positive revisions, so it happened to work OK in the test lab environments, though not by design. :)

- Burt Triplett