Re: tip: New "Link:" tag to replace "LKML-Reference:"

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Apr 07 2011 - 10:44:34 EST

On 04/07/2011 07:08 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> OK, so I fixed my scripts to match this and it all seems to work, except
> for the:
>
> LKML-Reference: <new-submission>
>
> case, where the tip-bot would mail it out for me. While I try not to use
> it too much its convenient for quick fixes etc. Will the absence of a
> Link tag suffice or is there more to it?

OK, I have asked for a long time that we do not use <new-submission>.

The recommended pattern has been:

LKML-Reference: <tip-*@git.kernel.org>

... which at least indicates to the user how the message-ID is to be
generated (* being a placeholder for the commit SHA1).

The only think I can think of for how to make Link: work would be to
recognize a pattern that the tip-bot would use as its own Message-ID
*instead* of the commit SHA1 pattern that it would normally use. There
are disadvantages to every approach, of course.

We have a couple of alternatives:

a) Continue to use "LKML-Reference: <tip-*@git.kernel.org>"
+ At least gives a hint how to find the newly-formed LKML thread
- Not a clickable link
- Somewhat noisy
b) Just Cc: everything to LKML regardless of tag
+ Easy
- No way to *not* post everything to LKML
- No way to locate the thread without knowing the magic
c) A recognizable pattern with a unique pattern *generated by the
committer*, something like:
Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/tip-`uuidgen -r`@git.kernel.org
+ Clickable link
- Long (the above is 86 characters wide)
- Message-IDs of a nonstandard form
- Bad things will happen if someone re-uses an identifier
- String has to be generated by machine at commit time

[Using ranpwd instead of uuidgen allows for a more compact random string
by using a wider character set. For example:

Link: http://lkml.kernel.org/r/tip-`ranpwd -l 24`@git.kernel.org

... has the same entropy but is 74 characters wide.]

Thoughts?

-hpa