Re: [GIT PULL] Native Linux KVM tool for 3.1

From: Kevin Wolf
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 08:22:22 EST

Am 25.07.2011 10:30, schrieb Pekka Enberg:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Alexander Graf <agraf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> So i wanted to have a lightweight tool that allows me to test KVM and
>>> tools/kvm/ does that very nicely: i type './kvm run' and i can test a
>>> native bzImage (which has some virtualization options enabled as
>>> well) on the _host_ distro i am running, booting to a text shell
>>> prompt.
>>
>> I do that all the time.
>>
>> $ qemu-kvm -nographic -kernel arch/x86/boot/bzImage -append console=ttyS0
>>
>> does the exact same thing. If that's too much typing for you, make it a bash alias.
>
> You know, they said the same thing about oprofile. All you needed to do was to
> write few simple shell scripts to make it work. One of the key
> features of tools/kvm
> is 'as little configuration as possible' and I can assure you that
> bash alias is really
> not a solution for that.

You've just chosen a different default. I'd argue that most users (i.e.
not developers of the tool or the kernel) actually want to run with a
disk image and graphics. You can type "qemu-kvm harddisk.img" and that's
it. This is clearly superior to something as tedious as "./kvm run -d
harddisk.img --sdl" and I can assure you that a bash alias is really not
a solution for that.

So, as always, which set of command line switches works better for you
depends entirely on your use case.

Kevin