Re: [RFC 1/3] /dev/low_mem_notify

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Jan 24 2012 - 11:26:09 EST

On Tuesday 24 January 2012, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 13:40 -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > What is the practical advantage of a syscall, again?
>
> Why do you ask? The advantage for this particular case is not needing to
> add ioctls() for configuration and keeping the file read/write ABI
> simple.

The two are obviously equivalent and there is no reason to avoid
ioctl in general. However I agree that the syscall would be better
in this case, because that is what we tend to use for core kernel
functionality, while character devices tend to be used for I/O device
drivers that need stuff like enumeration and permission management.

Arnd