Re: [EDAC ABI v13 04/25] events/hw_event: Create a Hardware EventsReport Mecanism (HERM)

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Thu May 10 2012 - 09:16:50 EST

Em 09-05-2012 11:24, Borislav Petkov escreveu:
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 11:15:54AM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

>>> Oh, yeah, I remember vaguely something like that. Lets wait what Steven
>>> has to say.
>
> btw, http://lwn.net/Articles/383362/ explains how to define tracepoints outside
> of include/trace/events.
>
> [ â ]
>
>>> and above says "Hardware Events Report Method (HERM)" The fact that you
>>> yourself are not exactly sure about what this abbreviation is supposed
>>> to be/mean/etc, simply should tell you that it is causing only confusion
>>> with no benefit what-so-ever, even to you!
>>
>> Fixed.
>
> No, you haven't. It still says HERM below. Please drop the marketing speak!

Nah, this is not marketing speak. HERM is not a trademark. amd64_edac, on the other
hand, is using a trademark on his name. If we use your logic, this would need to
be renamed to something else, to avoid using a "marketing speak".

We need some name to differentiate between the broken EDAC core where modern
memory controllers are not properly represented and reports errors on
fake csrows/channels from the EDAC+HERM core that will properly provide the
error information to where it really belongs.

In other words, HERM is just an acronym[1] to the version to point to where
EDAC starts to work fine with modern memory controllers.

[1] Btw, EDAC is also an acronym for Error Detection And Correction.

Regards,
Mauro