Re: [tip:x86/mce] x86/bitops: Move BIT_64() for a wider use

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 23 2012 - 12:43:25 EST

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:31 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> And it should return UL for shift values < 32 and ULL otherwise.
>>

> Why do you want that behavior?  That seems bizarre...

We *have* to have that behavior.

A 64-bit value on a 32-bit architecture has fundamentally different
semantics than a 32-bit one.

It expands arithmetic, but it has other semantic differences too.
Think "printf()" etc. We don't want to force people to do 64-bit
arithmetic on x86-32 when they are working with BIT(0), for chrissake!

So if people make BIT(0) be a 64-bit value on a 32-bit architecture,
I'm going to run around naked with a chainsaw, and call people morons.
That's just not acceptable.

Linus