Re: [tip:x86/mce] x86/bitops: Move BIT_64() for a wider use

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed May 23 2012 - 12:47:27 EST

On 05/23/2012 09:43 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>> Why do you want that behavior? That seems bizarre...
>
> We *have* to have that behavior.
>
> A 64-bit value on a 32-bit architecture has fundamentally different
> semantics than a 32-bit one.
>
> It expands arithmetic, but it has other semantic differences too.
> Think "printf()" etc. We don't want to force people to do 64-bit
> arithmetic on x86-32 when they are working with BIT(0), for chrissake!
>
> So if people make BIT(0) be a 64-bit value on a 32-bit architecture,
> I'm going to run around naked with a chainsaw, and call people morons.
> That's just not acceptable.

BIT(0), okay. I thought we were talking about BIT_64() here...

Any reason we can't just tell people to use BIT() for a native "unsigned
long" type (32/64 bits) and BIT_64() if they really want a 64-bit result?

There are good reasons for the latter. Consider, for example:

u64 msr;
msr &= ~BIT_64(1);

This *better* not be an unsigned 32 bit value, or we just chopped off
the upper half. In this case and similar ones the 64-bitness of the
result really matters.

-hpa