Re: 82571EB: Detected Hardware Unit Hang

From: Joe Jin
Date: Wed Jul 11 2012 - 22:23:11 EST

On 07/12/12 02:51, Dave, Tushar N wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I see couple of errors in lspci output.
> Device capability status register shows UnCorrectable PCIe error. This means there is certainly something went wrong. The only way to recover from Uncorrectable errors is reset.
>
> DevSta: CorrErr- *UncorrErr+ FatalErr+ UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr+ TransPend-
>
> Also AER sections in lspci output shows PCIe completion timeout.
>
> Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
> UESta: DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- *CmpltTO+ CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq+ ACSViol-
>
> I suggest you should load AER driver and check for any error messages in log. Also please check any error message reported by system in BIOS log. Are there any machine check errors?
>
> When did you notice this issue? have 82571 ever been working before on this server?
>
> One more thing, Cache line size 256 is little unusual( I never seen this value before, mostly it's 64). Does BIOS settings have been changed? Are you using default BIOS setting?

I checked BIOS's log found the fault from the device, I changed "PCI-E Payload Size"
from 256(default) to 128, now the device works.

I compared lspci output found Address for data of MSI Capabilities's be changed:

Old:
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Address: 00000000fee21000 Data: 40cb

New:
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Address: 00000000fee24000 Data: 405c

Mostly like it's a BIOS bug? please comments.

Thanks,
Joe