strange values of loadavg and nr of io-blocked tasks

From: Nikola Ciprich
Date: Fri Nov 16 2012 - 06:46:57 EST

Hi,

I was doing some I/O tuning of our KVM host, and noticed some
strange behaviour. When I start some heavy I/O load on guest
(ie run some fio benchmark), loadavg value of the host jumps
to value about 65 and holds until load ends. sar reports similar
number of blocked tasks. I don't really understand those numbers,
because only active tasks are 4 qemu-kvm threads and few other sleeping
tasks (so none in R or D state).
is it possible to somehow find which tasks seem to be blocked?
or why is loadavg value so high?
the system is x86_64 quad core with 4GB RAM running centos 6 with 3.0.52-rc1 kernel.

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer

BR

nik

--