Re: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Sun Jul 14 2013 - 19:53:10 EST

On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 10:50 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> You cut out the important part:
>
> - It must fix a problem that causes a build error (but not for things
> marked CONFIG_BROKEN), an oops, a hang, data corruption, a real
> security issue, or some "oh, that's not good" issue. In short, something
> critical.
>
> That list is not a "or" list, it's an "and" list - it needs to follow
> *all* the rules. The exception is the "New device IDs and quirks are
> also accepted", which maybe should be made more clearly separate.

So if I read this (and stable_kernel_rules.txt) correctly, that means that
for example, let's say, we find in RHEL66 or SLES42 (possibly following
a user report), for example, that PCI hotplug is broken with some category
of devices on some machines.

We do a fix, it's roughtly 4 or 5 lines, pretty self contained. We get it
into the distro.

That still doesn't qualify for stable right ? We have to start shooting at
every distro around separately or wait for users of those other distros
to also hit it ?

Where is the line when something "Doesn't work" (without crashing/oops'ing or
being a security issue) ?

My personal line so far has been to take it and send it to -stable if the
patch is simple enough and self contained (little risk of side effects).

But I can stop if that's indeed the accepted rule.

Cheers,
Ben.