Re: [HANG] Trouble with NEC-based USB adapter in PCMCIA slot on E7110

From: Thomas Richter
Date: Sat Aug 10 2013 - 07:26:47 EST

Hi Alan,

later... ok, bisected this even more. 2.6.31.14 kernel, old udev works fine. Then removed /etc/rcS.d/S02udev to be sure the 2.6.32 kernel would not pull the new udev. Rebuild 2.6.32.1 with *identical* kernel configuration, booted up, manually started the *old* udev as in 2.6.31.14, and tried whether it worked.

Did not.

Thus: it is neither the udev configuration, nor the udev userspace program, nor the kernel configuration.

Something must be screwed in the kernel space. Which is interesting since 2.6.32.1 is actually older than 2.6.31.14 (but the older 2.6.31.6 works, too, and younger 2.6.32.6 doesn't work either).

As said, configuration of 2.6.32.1 and 2.6.31.14 is the same.

Which modules are relevant for handling the communication with the device, and where would you suggest to start looking? I assume yenta_socket is one thing for the cartbus adapter, then we have ehci_hcd and ehci_pci. Do I assume correctly that we can rule out the ohci_hcd module since that is not involved? What about other usb modules? I would probably need a short recap on through which modules the user data flows before the write is triggered, and which modules are involved in the configuration of the NEC ehci host adapter.

Thanks,
Thomas