Re: 3.11-final plan: unpriviledged user can crash the kernel (using bluetooth rfcomm)

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Sun Sep 01 2013 - 16:16:17 EST

Hi Pavel,

>>> 2.6.32-5-686 from debian seems to work.
>>
>> Could you try linux-next? We recently pushed a rework of the RFCOMM tty
>> handling, it should fix this. The work was too big to be pushed to 3.11
>
> So... In 3.11 unpriviledged user can crash the kernel, but the fix is
> too big, so we release it without the fix?
>
> Somehow, I don't think that's good idea.

can you boot a bluetooth-next kernel and see if the planned changes are fixing this or not. I would like to have that confirmed before we start any speculations here.

If the RFCOMM TTY rework that we have in bluetooth-next fixes this issue, then we can have a look at if this can be patched for 3.11 or a stable kernel without having to include the whole patch series. Or if the TTY subsystem changed from 2.6.32 so much that we have to take the whole changes.

However, please also note there is a different between RFCOMM sockets and RFCOMM TTYs. I would be curious if only the TTY part is affected or also the socket part.

Regards

Marcel