Re: [GIT PULL] make mrproper fix for v3.19-rc4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jan 08 2015 - 17:42:46 EST

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 2:49 AM, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> make mrproper / distclean stopped removing the generated debian/
> directory in v3.16.

So "make distclean" still doesn't actually clean everything.

I don't personally much care, since I've taught my fingers to just do

git clean -dqfx

instead, but since I tested "make distclean" after pulling from you, I
thought I'd just mention it.

Just do

make allmodconfig
.. build the tree ..
make distclean
git ls-files -o

to see any files that are left-over despite the distclean ("git
ls-files -o" basically shows all untracked files - 'o' stands for
'others' - so anything that isn't in the actual distributed sources
shows up)

But I really am not sure how much effort we should spend on "make
distclean", given than "git clean" is so much easier and requires no
effort at all.

Linus