Re: [RFC v0 7/8] Input: ims-pcu: use firmware_stat instead of completion

From: Arend van Spriel
Date: Sat Jul 30 2016 - 08:43:13 EST

+ Luis (again) ;-)

On 29-07-16 08:13, Daniel Wagner wrote:
> On 07/28/2016 09:01 PM, Bjorn Andersson wrote:

>> [..]
>>>
>>> Do not quite like it... I'd rather asynchronous request give out a
>>> firmware status pointer that could be used later on.

Excellent. Why not get rid of the callback function as well and have
fw_loading_wait() return result (0 = firmware available, < 0 = fail).
Just to confirm, you are proposing a new API function next to
request_firmware_nowait(), right?

>>> pcu->fw_st = request_firmware_async(IMS_PCU_FIRMWARE_NAME,
>>> - pcu,
>>> - ims_pcu_process_async_firmware);
+ pcu);
>>> if (IS_ERR(pcu->fw_st))
>>> return PTR_ERR(pcu->fw_st);

>>> err = fw_loading_wait(pcu->fw_st);
if (err)
return err;

fw = fwstat_get_firmware(pcu->fw_st);

Or whatever consistent prefix it is going to be.

>> In the remoteproc case (patch 6) this would clean up the code, rather
>> than replacing the completion API 1 to 1. I like it!
>
> IIRC most drivers do it the same way. So request_firmware_async() indeed
> would be good thing to have. Let me try that.

While the idea behind this series is a good one I am wondering about the
need for these drivers to use the asynchronous API. The historic reason
might be to avoid timeout caused by user-mode helper, but that may no
longer apply and these drivers could be better off using
request_firmware_direct().

There have been numerous discussions about the firmware API. Here most
recent one:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/index.html#152755

Regards,
Arend