Re: new tree for linux-next: uuid

From: Andy Shevchenko
Date: Mon Jun 05 2017 - 10:43:25 EST

On Tue, 2017-06-06 at 00:29 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 17:06:45 +0300 Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@
> linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2017-06-05 at 10:07 +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > Meh, thanks.ÂÂThis has been throught the buildbot countless times
> > > without a report.ÂÂBut I guess a less generic name might be a good
> > > idea to start with.
> > >
> > > Andy: do you think UUID_INIT/GUID_INIT make sense to your?
> > > or _INITIALIZER?ÂÂ
> >
> > I'm a bit out of context. Where this will be used?
>
> include/uapi/linux/uuid.h (after the uuid lib changes) contains a
> definition of the macro GUID() which is probably a bit generic a name
> for a uapi include file.ÂÂIt also clashes with a couple of other uses
> of that macro name already in the kernel (one of which produced
> several
> warnings in linux-next today).
>
> It produces an initializer for a guid_t (structure).

Just had read and finished answering to a warning.
In kernel users shouldn't really use so generic names, we may fix it.

OTOH, for user space I dunno if need to export that at all.
If we need by some reason, shorter version looks better, GUID_INIT(),
UUID_INIT()...

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Intel Finland Oy