Re: [RFC] yamldt v0.5, now a DTS compiler too

From: Pantelis Antoniou
Date: Mon Oct 02 2017 - 03:36:19 EST

> On Oct 2, 2017, at 01:00 , Rob Herring <robherring2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Pantelis Antoniou
> <pantelis.antoniou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> Significant progress has been made on yamldt and is now capable of
>> not only generating yaml from DTS source but also compiling DTS sources
>> and being almost fully compatible with DTC.
>
> Can you quantify "almostâ?

The âsort option and /include-bin/ doesnât work yet.

Itâs a day or so to add them but there are no kernel dtb files that rely on them.

>> Compiling the kernel's DTBs using yamldt is as simple as using a
>> DTC=yamldt.
>
> Good.
>

>> Error reporting is accurate and validation against a YAML based schema
>> works as well. In a short while I will begin posting patches with
>> fixes on bindings and DTS files in the kernel.
>
> What I would like to see is the schema format posted for review.

It is based on your binding schema youâve posted but tweaked slightly to
be parseable by the YAML subset that matches the DTS style.

In particular bare sequences do not map to DT at all, so:

- name: foo

is changed to
name: foo

And so on.

> I would also like to see the bindings for top-level compatible strings
> (aka boards) as an example. That's something that's simple enough that
> I'd think we could agree on a format and start moving towards defining
> board bindings that way.

Iâll see what I can do.

> Rob

Regards