Re: [GIT PULL] vfs: fix many problems in vfs clone/dedupe implementation

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Nov 03 2018 - 13:14:04 EST

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 4:36 PM Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 09:35:23AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > I don't love the timing of this at the end of the merge window, but pulled,
>
> When would have been a better time? It's too big for a late -rc, and
> it contains stuff that needs fixing pretty urgently. So if the merge
> window is not appropriate, what should we have done here?

No, I think that with the timing of the problem finding, it was
probably the only thing to do, but generally I like these kinds of
somewhat scary and disruptive patches (just because it touches
multiple filesystems) _early_ in the merge window if at all possible,
and showing that the development was done before and not some rushed
thing..

Linus