Re: [GIT PULL] vfs: fix many problems in vfs clone/dedupe implementation

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Sun Nov 04 2018 - 17:11:06 EST

On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 10:13:37AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 4:36 PM Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 09:35:23AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't love the timing of this at the end of the merge window, but pulled,
> >
> > When would have been a better time? It's too big for a late -rc, and
> > it contains stuff that needs fixing pretty urgently. So if the merge
> > window is not appropriate, what should we have done here?
>
> No, I think that with the timing of the problem finding, it was
> probably the only thing to do, but generally I like these kinds of
> somewhat scary and disruptive patches (just because it touches
> multiple filesystems) _early_ in the merge window if at all possible,
> and showing that the development was done before and not some rushed
> thing..

Fair enough. That was partly my fault - I forgot to add sob's to the
commits when I pulled the final version in for testing in the middle
of the first week of the merge window. I didn't realise that until
after I'd soak and stress tested it and was getting ready to push it
out to linux-next a week later. So I had to rewrite all the commits
and so they would have looked an awful lot more recent than they
really were. I should have mentioned this in the pull request...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner