Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Changes for 5.6

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Tue Feb 04 2020 - 08:46:51 EST

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 13:19:06 +0000
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Because it strikes me that the bootconfig should be the special case
> (ie "bootconfig does setup for boot-time tracing"), and that you
> should explicitly say "I want you to read the extended config" on the
> regular kernel command line.
>
> So from looking at this, I do have to say that I'd have a slight
> preference for simply making this be an option like
> "config=bootconfig" that says "extend cmdline with the data from the
> 'bootconfig' file".

OK, I like this idea. As the current approach "silently" adds the boot
config, it may be surprising to someone that the configs are changing
(if they don't know to look for /proc/bootconfig).

Having a "config=bootconfig" required for reading makes it implicit
that a bootconfig is added to the existing command line, from just
looking at /proc/cmdline, and removing an added "config=bootconfig"

> Would that be horribly painful for your uses?

I have no problem with this approach. Masami, are you OK with this?

I'll send a v2 implementing this change shortly.

-- Steve