Re: [GIT PULL] Modules updates for v5.12

From: Masahiro Yamada
Date: Thu Feb 25 2021 - 10:51:24 EST

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 4:36 AM Rasmus Villemoes
<rasmus.villemoes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24/02/2021 15.40, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 5:33 PM Jessica Yu <jeyu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> +++ Linus Torvalds [23/02/21 12:03 -0800]:

> >> [ Adding Masahiro to CC ]
> >>
> >> It looks like CONFIG_TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS had been hiding behind
> >> CONFIG_UNUSED_SYMBOLS all this time, and once the EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL
> >> stuff was removed, it exposed that option to be selected by
> >> allyesconfig. That option had previously caused build issues on
> >> powerpc on linux-next, so I had temporarily marked that as BROKEN on
> >> powerpc until Masahiro's fix landed in linux-next. I was not aware of
> >> the additional build slowdown issue :/ In any case, Christoph's
> >> suggestion to invert the option sounds reasonable, since the mips
> >> defconfig selects it, it does not seem totally unused.

Good insight.
Actually, I came up with the same idea last night, and had started
the implementation background.
I needed sleep before completing the patch set, but
now it is working as far as I tested.

BTW,
KEEP(*(SORT(___ksymtab+foo ___ksymtab+bar ___ksymtab+baz))
is a syntax error.

KEEP(*(__ksymtab+foo))
KEEP(*(__ksymtab+bar))
KEEP(*(__ksymtab+baz))

works.

> > TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS builds the tree twice by its concept.
> >
> > [1] 1st build
> > At this point of time, we do not know which EXPORT_SYMBOL()
> > is needed. So, EXPORT_SYMBOL() is enabled, or noop'ed
> > based on the temporal guess.
> > (in the fresh build, EXPORT_SYMBOL() are all nooped.)
> >
> > [2] Get the list of symbols needed to resolve all symbol references.
> > (this information is collected in include/generated/autoksyms.h)
> >
> > [3] 2nd build
> > Rebuild the objects whose EXPORT_SYMBOL()
> > must be flipped.
>
> I'm thinking we should be able to generate a linker script snippet from
> [2] and use that when linking vmlinux, so there's no recursion and no
> rebuild of individual .o files (and all the __cond_export_sym trickery
> goes away).
>
> The ksymtab entry for foo is already emitted in its own ___ksymtab+foo
> section (or ___ksymtab_gpl+foo). So if the sorted list of undefined
> symbols listed in the .mod files (plus the whitelist) consist of foo,
> bar and baz, generate a header to be included by vmlinux.lds.h that says
>
> #define KSYMTAB_SECTIONS \
> ___ksymtab+foo \
> ___ksymtab+bar \
> ___ksymtab+baz \
>
> #define KSYMTAB_GPL_SECTIONS \
> ___ksymtab_gpl+foo \
> ___ksymtab_gpl+bar \
> ___ksymtab_gpl+baz \
>
> with a !CONFIG_TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS definition of these that just says
>
> #define KSYMTAB_SECTIONS ___ksymtab+*
> #define KSYMTAB_GPL_SECTIONS ___ksymtab_gpl+*
>
> and use that
>
> __ksymtab AT(ADDR(__ksymtab) - LOAD_OFFSET) { \
> __start___ksymtab = .; \
> KEEP(*(SORT(KSYMTAB_SECTIONS))) \
> __stop___ksymtab = .; \
>
> Only one of ___ksymtab+foo and ___ksymtab_gpl+foo will exist, but that
> doesn't matter (it's really no different from the fact that many files
> (i.e. the * before "(SORT") don't contain any section matching
> ___ksymtab_gpl+*).
>
> We may then have to add another discard section to put the remaining
> ___ksymtab_gpl+* sections in, but that's fine as long as that stanza
> just appears later in the linker script.
>
> If LD_DEAD_CODE_DATA_ELIMINATION was more widely supported (and I was
> surprised to see that it's not even available on arm or x86) one could
> also play another game, dropping the KEEP()s and instead create a linker
> script snippet containing EXTERN(__ksymtab_foo __ksymtab_bar ...),
> referencing the "struct kernel_symbol" elements themselves rather than
> the singleton sections they reside in.

Do you mean LD_DEAD_CODE_DATA_ELIMINATION must be enabled by default
to do this?

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada