Re: [linus:master] [timers] 7ee9887703: stress-ng.uprobe.ops_per_sec -17.1% regression

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Fri Apr 26 2024 - 07:35:50 EST

Le Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 12:15:47PM +0200, Anna-Maria Behnsen a écrit :
> [...]
> >> the first timer is alredy in the past. I didn't add an extra check when
> >> creating the 'defacto' timer thingy. But existing code handles this
> >> problem already properly. So the warning could be ignored here.
> >>
> >> For the cpuidle people, let me explain what I oberserved, my resulting
> >> assumption and my request for help:
> >>
> >> cpuidle governors use expected sleep length values (beside other data)
> >> to decide which idle state would be good to enter. The expected sleep
> >> length takes the first queued timer of the CPU into account and is
> >> provided by tick_nohz_get_sleep_length(). With the timer pull model in
> >> place the non pinned timers are not taken into account when there are
> >> other CPUs up and running which could handle those timers. This could
> >> lead to increased sleep length values. On my system during the stress-ng
> >> uprobes test it was in the range of maximum 100us without the patch set
> >> and with the patch set the maximum was in a range of 200sec. This is
> >> intended behaviour, because timers which could expire on any CPU should
> >> expire on the CPU which is busy anyway and the non busy CPU should be
> >> able to go idle.
> >>
> >> Those increased sleep length values were the only anomalies I could find
> >> in the traces with the regression.
> >>
> >> I created the patch below which simply fakes the sleep length values
> >> that they take all timers of the CPU into account (also the non
> >> pinned). This patch kind of restores the behavoir of
> >> tick_nohz_get_sleep_length() before the change but still with the timer
> >> pull model in place.
> >>
> >> With the patch the regression was gone, at least on my system (using
> >> cpuidle governor menu but also teo).
> >
> > I assume the regression is reproducible for both?
> > (The original report is using menu for anyone else looking at this)
>
> Yes. (at least in my setup)
>

> >> So my assumption here is, that cpuidle governors assume that a deeper
> >> idle state could be choosen and selecting the deeper idle state makes an
> >> overhead when returning from idle. But I have to notice here, that I'm
> >> still not familiar with cpuidle internals... So I would be happy about
> >> some hints how I can debug/trace cpuidle internals to falsify or verify
> >> this assumption.
> >
> > I'd say that sounds correct.
> > Comparing cpu_idle_miss would be interesting for both.
>
> total nr above below
> "bad": 2518343 2329072 189271
> "good": 3016019 2960004 56015
>
> -> this is the result of just a single run using:
>
> perf script record -a -e power:cpu_idle_miss /home/anna-maria/src/stress-ng/stress-ng --timeout 60 --times --verify --metrics --no-rand-seed --uprobe 112
>

> But beside of this, when running this stress-ng test, the cpus seems to
> be mostly idle (top tells me). So the question here fore me is, what is
> the stress in this test and what should the numbers tell we are
> comparing? It is not totally clear to me even after looking at the code.

I can at least help a bit with that since I stared at stress-uprobe for a while.

A single stress-uprobe thread creates a uprobe trace event to fire everytime
getpid() is called. Then it does a lot of getpid() calls, which creates uprobes
events in ftrace and then it does a loop reading /sys/kernel/tracing/trace_pipe
until the end.

The bogomips measured is the total number of uprobes trace events read from
trace_pipe.

And since there are 112 threads doing all this at the same time, there is
probably a lot of contention on trace_pipe rwsem: trace_access_lock() ->
down_write(). Although what I observed with perf was more about mutex contention
so there could be another lock somewhere I missed...

Christian may correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks.