Re: [linus:master] [timers] 7ee9887703: stress-ng.uprobe.ops_per_sec -17.1% regression

From: Christian Loehle
Date: Fri Apr 26 2024 - 11:39:29 EST

On 26/04/2024 11:15, Anna-Maria Behnsen wrote:
> [...]
>>> message restores the original behaviour also in your test setup. I
>>> applied it on 6.9-rc4. This patch is not a fix - it is just a pointer to
>>> the kernel path, that might cause the regression. I know, it is
>>> probable, that a warning in tick_sched is triggered. This happens when
>>> the first timer is alredy in the past. I didn't add an extra check when
>>> creating the 'defacto' timer thingy. But existing code handles this
>>> problem already properly. So the warning could be ignored here.
>>>
>>> For the cpuidle people, let me explain what I oberserved, my resulting
>>> assumption and my request for help:
>>>
>>> cpuidle governors use expected sleep length values (beside other data)
>>> to decide which idle state would be good to enter. The expected sleep
>>> length takes the first queued timer of the CPU into account and is
>>> provided by tick_nohz_get_sleep_length(). With the timer pull model in
>>> place the non pinned timers are not taken into account when there are
>>> other CPUs up and running which could handle those timers. This could
>>> lead to increased sleep length values. On my system during the stress-ng
>>> uprobes test it was in the range of maximum 100us without the patch set
>>> and with the patch set the maximum was in a range of 200sec. This is
>>> intended behaviour, because timers which could expire on any CPU should
>>> expire on the CPU which is busy anyway and the non busy CPU should be
>>> able to go idle.
>>>
>>> Those increased sleep length values were the only anomalies I could find
>>> in the traces with the regression.
>>>
>>> I created the patch below which simply fakes the sleep length values
>>> that they take all timers of the CPU into account (also the non
>>> pinned). This patch kind of restores the behavoir of
>>> tick_nohz_get_sleep_length() before the change but still with the timer
>>> pull model in place.
>>>
>>> With the patch the regression was gone, at least on my system (using
>>> cpuidle governor menu but also teo).
>>
>> I assume the regression is reproducible for both?
>> (The original report is using menu for anyone else looking at this)
>
> Yes. (at least in my setup)
>

>>> So my assumption here is, that cpuidle governors assume that a deeper
>>> idle state could be choosen and selecting the deeper idle state makes an
>>> overhead when returning from idle. But I have to notice here, that I'm
>>> still not familiar with cpuidle internals... So I would be happy about
>>> some hints how I can debug/trace cpuidle internals to falsify or verify
>>> this assumption.
>>
>> I'd say that sounds correct.
>> Comparing cpu_idle_miss would be interesting for both.
>
> total nr above below
> "bad": 2518343 2329072 189271
> "good": 3016019 2960004 56015
>
> -> this is the result of just a single run using:
>
> perf script record -a -e power:cpu_idle_miss /home/anna-maria/src/stress-ng/stress-ng --timeout 60 --times --verify --metrics --no-rand-seed --uprobe 112

Thanks and sorry, I just realised now that this is the stress-ng uprobe and
not the netperf regression. So hopefully that shouldn't be much trouble
reproducing on my end. I will give that a try.

> But beside of this, when running this stress-ng test, the cpus seems to
> be mostly idle (top tells me). So the question here fore me is, what is
> the stress in this test and what should the numbers tell we are
> comparing? It is not totally clear to me even after looking at the code.

Since we have a performance regression that is or may be related to cpuidle
the first thing I would like to know is if the governor is doing a good
job from a cpuidle perspective (and the regression is caused by the latency
of waking up from the deeper idle states that were a correct decision) or
if you can already see issues just from a cpuidle perspective.
Anyway I'll take a look and report back!

Regards,
Christian