Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #105

Wed, 5 Jul 1995 01:19:04 +0200 (MET DST)

According to owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu:
> From: Jim Lynch <jimlynch@netcom.com>
> Date: Sun, 2 Jul 1995 14:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: Very simple patch for 'make zlilo'
>
> On 2 Jul 1995, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > jimlynch@netcom.com wrote on 01.07.95 in <Pine.3.89.9507010629.A7378-0100000@netcom2>:
> >
> > > As I recall, the reason for initially mounting the root filesystem read-only
> > > is so that fsck can check the root fs. My vote on this would be to go for
> > > the configuration option, and its default should be read-write, so as to try
> > > not to break existing /etc/rc.d files.
> >
> > Hmm. How many existing /etc/rc.d files rely on a r/w mount of root? I'd
> > guess it's a really, really low number; and it's really old installations
> > - as far as I know, no remotely current distribution does this. I'd guess
> > 1% or less. Besides, all of these will have trouble with fsck'ing the root
> > fs.
> >
> > On the other hand, lots of /etc/rc.d/ files rely on a r/o mount of root.
> > I'd say a default of r/o breaks a lot fewer systems than the current
> > situation does for systems relying on the flag in the kernel instead of
> > lilo.
> >
> > MfG Kai
> >

> In that case, my vote would change to having a configuration option for
> this, with the default being set to initially mount read-only.

There already exists such an option in lilo, which makes the patch
unnecessary (I always just use 'make zlilo' and it works without problem).

Include the following in your lilo.conf:

image=/vmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/sda2 # root file system after reboot
read-only
^^^^^^^^^

Rob

--