Re: swap space

Norm Peterson (norm@python.itek.net)
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 23:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Jul 1995, Michael J. Drons wrote:

> I have 16M of ram
> and 32M of swap space....
> 16M swapon /dev/hda2 and 16M on /dev/hda3
>

> My question: Why doesnt my mschine use the space space????
> When usinig the command free I always says that my machine has
> 32992 free and 32992 available. Has anybody seen this????
>
> Please help....

the physical ram must be used up first (or close to bein used up) before
the swap space is touched. which makes the most sense when you sit down
and think about it. why would you want the kernel to use a slow clumsy
disk drive, when there is plenty of memory on them speedy 60-70 nanosecond
chips? you will have to be running some intense programs to get into the
swap space...