Re: sysv filesystem lockups

Gerd Knorr (kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 01:45:18 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> [ ... about md/loopback deadlocks ... ]
>
> One possible fix would be to never plug the md or loopback drivers, and
> that would be easy enough to test. You'll find the "plug_device()" call
> in drivers/block/ll_rw_block.c, it looks something like this:
>
> if (!req) {
> plug_device(blk_dev + major);
> } else ...
>
> and you could try to disable the plugging for LOOP_MAJOR and for
> MD_MAJOR. Something like
>
> if (!req) {
> if (major != LOOP_MAJOR && major != MD_MAJOR)
> plug_device(blk_dev + major);
> } else ...
>
> might be sufficient. Does that work for you?

Seems this fixes the deadlock problem. I have a shell script which
creates a initrd-rootfs using the loop device. All kernels since 1.3.78
hang when running the script. 1.3.88 patched as described above works
fine :-)

Gerd

--
Lost my .pinerc after a linux crash. Forgot to reconfigure my From: line. Sorry
If you got kraxel@felix.none.de bounced, retry kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de. Thanks