Re: Time to remove old gcc support

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:44:50 +0200

On 22 Apr 96 at 15:21, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > Well, Alan Cox has reported that GCC 2.5.8 generates incorrect code
> > for the networking stuff. That means people will try to compile the
> > kernel with it, and get bitten by bugs later. Doesn't seem very
> > stable to me.
>
> This is terrible. The networking stuff should be fixed with the
> proper hack for gcc 2.5.8. The hack can be removed in 2.1.0, but
> 2.0.xx should work with gcc 2.5.8. When 2.1.0 comes out, add the
> old gcc to the victims list _then_ remove the hacks.

gcc-2.5.8 has been fixed to correctly compile the networking code;
the fix is called gcc-2.7.2. Really, I think those who want Linux 2.0
can also afford to get a newer compiler and libraries. The problem
seems to be gcc, not the networking code, so why fix the networking
code?

> Many of us are still running pure a.out with an old gcc. I don't
> even have elf libs or kernel support. The upgrade is too difficult

I have a new ELF system at home, and I have an old a.out system at
work. BOTH work (I just don't use "ps -u" at work).

> and not worth the trouble. I'm not going to run some half-and-half
> system because it would be slow, my net connection is slow for an
> upgrade over the net, and I don't want to spend $40 for a CD until
> I really have to. I'm not alone - yet - and I think 2.0.xx should

A new CD is always worth the price (if your last one is older than a
year). Maybe sell your DOS license, but get the latest distribution.

> still compile correctly on my system. Change 2.1.0 if needed.

Ulrich