Re: problems with memory/file corruption

Jonathan A. Davis (jonathan@evergreen.cc.usm.edu)
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 21:59:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, root wrote:

> Well, Linux may be good, but it does seem strange that OS/2 and Win NT
> runs without any problems on the same machine. I have just had my entire
> motherboard & ram replaced and have the *exact* same problems in Linux.

Here's a different twist... We had a 486/66 that we retired from active
service as a Linux server (which it had been doing for around 2 years).
At the time of shutdown, it was running 1.2.13 and had never seen a system
crash.

Once we released it, one of our tech. services people took it as his
workstation. Since he has to support multiple environments for testing,
this necessitated his installing Win95.

It wouldn't work.

After 6 tries at installation, he is running on Win3.1. Microsoft tech
cannot find a good reason for the problem. Our own services group can't
either. Yet, you can pop the original harddrive back in it, and boot
Linux (including X) like a champ.

Go figure,

-Jonathan _ _
Jonathan A. Davis | Academic Systems Analyst | Hattiesburg/Gulf Park/Stennis
Computing Center | Box 5171 | 39401-5171 | (601) 266-4103 | davis@cc.usm.edu
http://evergreen.cc.usm.edu/~davis | Linux: The choice of a GNU generation