Re: swap problems

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 02:45:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Leonard N. Zubkoff wrote:

> Using 2.0.3, I just got a bunch of these:
>
> swap_duplicate: trying to duplicate unused page
> swap_free: swap-space map bad (entry 00000100)
>
> I saw one of these for the first time yesterday in 2.0.8 with a motherboard I'm
> testing:
>
> Jul 26 19:53:59 gwynedd kernel: swap_free: swap-space map bad (entry 00100000)
>
> I didn't get the swap_duplicate message, though. The above message occurred
> during a "make clean" of a large source tree.

Not encouraging. Is this a major problem, or just a case where the kernel
screwed up, caught it's own error, and went merrily on? I disabled swap
and re-enabled it, and the messages stopped. This was on a year old ISP
shell/mail server (AIR board, P90, 96mb RAM, NCR 810 and aha-1540cf, SCSI
disk/tape, some old VGA board...sometimes even a monitor), 16 or so users
logged in. The only process of note was the nightly system backup had
begun about 20min before the messages started.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______