Re: 2.0.13 Sockets Stuck on close

Eric Schenk (schenk@cs.toronto.edu)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 19:46:03 -0400

Hugues Talbot <Hugues.Talbot@dms.csiro.au> writes:
> Sorry mate, but this is a real problem. I'm running 2.0.12,
>pppd 2.2.0f, mtu=mru=296 over a 28.8k modem. In addition I have an
>ethernet session running over a NE2000. All PPP interactive session
>come to a standstill in under a minute. FTP/HTTP session do not. They
>run fast and don't stall. Interactive sessions (telnet/rlogin) start
>almost normally, then degrades real quick, then come to a complete
>standstill.
> If you start another session, the previous one restarts
>magically for another minute, then things freeze again.
>
>> Also, slow network connections to the outside world are not news
>> unless you can exhibit a faster connection with different software
>> in the same environment.
>
> Well, this is very very simple: 2.0.8 DOES NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.
> Same configuration, same everything. No problem. Rien. Nada.

Ah! A new bit of information! Ok, there weren't very many TCP changes
between 2.0.8 and 2.0.12. Do you think you could back out individual
changes to try and figure out which one is causing the trouble?
Also, Christoph, can you check if you see the slow telnet problem with
2.0.8 or not?

Thanks,

-- eric

Eric Schenk www: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~schenk