Re: Kernel Profiling???? Please explain...

Nathan Bryant (nathan@burgessinc.com)
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 15:41:05 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, DPD wrote:

> I use 'make bzImage', if I append 'profile=2' into my 'LOADLIN'
> command line will it work the same???

I don't use loadlin, but it should give you the same results as LILO. It
doesn't make a difference that you're using make bzImage.

> How can I assure that I have the proper 'System.map' file???

When you build your kernel, System.map is created in /usr/src/linux.

> Sentence completion: Kernel profiling is used to.....

Determine how much processor time is used by particular parts of the
kernel.

> Hmmmm....can someone explain to me what the output means??

The output indicates what percentage of processor time is spent in
specific kernel functions.

> I have patched my kernel from 2.0.22 to 2.0.24, if necessary, how do
> I implement/patch the above "patch" into my current kernel???

This isn't a kernel patch. This is a patch to a program that is used to
process the kernel's profiling output.

> Can someone enlighten me as to understanding what this output really means??
>
> Where can I find more information/documentation about 'kernel
> profiling'?

>From Configure.help:

Kernel profiling support
CONFIG_PROFILE
This is for kernel hackers who want to know how much time the kernel
spends in the various procedures. The information is stored in
/proc/profile (enable the /proc filesystem!) and in order to read
it, you need the readprofile package from sunsite.unc.edu. Its
manpage gives information regarding the format of profiling data. To
become a kernel hacker, you can start with the Kernel Hacker's
Guide, available via ftp (user: anonymous) from
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/LDP. Mere mortals say N.

| Nathan Bryant | Resident Unix Geek |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | Burgess Business Solutions, Inc. |