Re: X much slower in 2.0.24 than in 1.2.13

Peter Denison (peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:12:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[ Tracing problems with X ]
> If you haven't reversed a patch before, it's not really hard:
>
> cp patch-2.0.24 reverse
> <your editor> reverse
> ... edit out everything but the patch to net/core/sock.c ...
> cd /usr/src/linux/net/core
> patch -R < xxx/reverse
>
> The only strange phase is the editing phase: you just want to remove
> everything above the line that reads
>
> diff -u --recursive --new-file v2.0.23/linux/net/core/sock.c linux/net/core/sock.c
>
> and then you want to remove everything that is after that patch (ie search
> for the next line that starts with 'diff -u ..' and remove that and all
> following lines).

Here's a little (tiny, pathetic) utility that I occasionally find useful:

I call it "limitpatch.pl"

It's a perl script (sorry purists!) to run on a huge patch file (a la
Linux patches) and pick out just the one you're interested in.

------------------------------8<----------------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl
# called with stdin = a patch stream, arg 1 = a filename
# outputs only the patch that refers to the filename
# peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk

$filename = shift(@ARGV);
while (<STDIN>) {
$patchon = 0 if m#^---#;
$patchon = 1 if m#^\+\+\+.*$filename#;
print if $patchon;
}

Example of use for the above problem:

gzip -dc patch-2.0.24.gz | limitpatch net/core/sock.c | patch -p1

Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Denison <peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk>
Currently (still) working on a driver for Promise cards under Linux.