Re: Linus using MIME ??? (was: Linux-2.1.7)

Albert Cahalan (albert@ccs.neu.edu)
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:29:17 -0500 (EST)

> Can this stupid thread not continue on linux-kernel once again, it
> does not belong here. If people want to bicker over mailers and have
> MIME wars, there are plenty other places to do that.

It keeps coming back because people are mad.

The Linux kernel is in C. It is perfectly valid to add the following
to the mailer software:

if(c&0x80) c='X';

There would be _no_ loss of information because anything with
the 0x80 bit set is not legal ANSI C source code.

There is a huge problem with MIME. Remember the 3D mouse?
Somebody though the kernel had 3D mouse support because the
MIME crap corrupted a kernel patch.

I've seen MIME corruption actually get into the kernel source
code, then get removed a version or two later. I do not think
it is OK to corrupt the kernel source code!

The mailing list should _decode_ MIME.

BTW, the mailer will run faster if it can treat everyone the same.