Re: su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted

Jason Burrell (jburrell@crl.crl.com)
Wed, 25 Dec 1996 13:51:49 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, [iso-8859-1] José Antonio Cortina wrote:

> I have a little problem with v. 2.0.0 (installed from Walnut Creek
> CD - Oct 96), because I have this error message when trying to run "su" with
> my user. (I hate to login as root ;) )
>
> If anybothy knows any probable reason for this, I'll appreciate your
> help.
>
> Thanks in advace !
>
> Jose A. Cortina
> jcortina@internetaddress.com

This is a shot in the dark, but:

Make sure you 'su' program is setuid root, and both /etc/passwd and
/etc/group are world readable.

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root bin 9853 Aug 14 1995 /bin/su*

It sounds like what's happening is the program is trying to do something
and doesn't have the permissions to do it (e.g. doing a setgid(0)).

--
Good government. Good government. Sit. Stay.