Re: Mail reflector

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:39:25 +1100

Werner Fink writes:

> Some one reflects mails of <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>.
> ... could one break this mail loop?

I've lost count of the number of problems that have occurred because
of mail<->news gateways. Is this latest reguritation of week-old
messages because of another misconfigured gateway?
Another irritation is the spam we are getting.
This is getting really annoying. So much so that I'm prompted into
making the following (harsh) suggestions:

Drop messages sent to the list if they are not from subscribers on the
list.

Ban all mail<->news gateways for the linux-kernel list. Anyone found
to break this rule is chucked off the list and blacklisted. Each
message has automatically appended a line saying that gatewaying is
prohibited.

I know that some people are attached to reading through news, but
surely it can't be that hard to get it via email? It's causing more
problems than it's worth. Removing the gateways should also reduce the
amount of spam (because news spam is stopped and also because address
collectors on Usenet will no longer see linux-kernel as an
"originator"). It would also tend to reduce the amount of personal
spam sent to people who post to this list.
It may even increase the signal-noise ratio on the list.

Regards,

Richard....