Re: procfs problems

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > > And then, if people want to parse any of the extra information, they
> > > should know the architecture specific information on the CPU before
> > > attempting to parse it.
> >
> > It should be standardized. Right now there's *no* standardization in the
> > kernel, which makes parsing the information the biggest pain in the ass.
> > Having to write 5 different parsers for the same information is *not* the
> > way to go.
>
> Well, first problem is: which applications would really care about the
> information on /proc/cpuinfo? i doubt there are any applications that
> require this information besides probably the cpu type.
>
> We could have a standard part /proc/cpuinfo part for those
> applications that care about this and a architecture-specific part.
>
> The standard part should have:
>
> global: the port name, architecture type, number of cpus on the
> system, number of active cpus on the system.
>
> per cpu: the cpu type, the fpu type, mmu type, bogomips.
>
> The rest should be architecture dependant.

Hello Miguel & et-al,

how about the /proc/net directory ?
I haven't seen mentioned the lack of device-driver informantion
in this directory .

The reason I am very interested in the below is that I -will-
be creating systems with as many as 8 ether cards in them OR
4 ether cards & 3 T1/E1 cards, Are we getting the idea yet ?

Also If I should maybe sell one of these to a friend to use
in a small routing situation they may want to put in one of
their own cards.....

Could we try an idea like : (to re-quote partially my previous
email)

What I hope could be usable,

for:
/proc/scsi/ncr53c8xx-0 < dir to info about ctrl 0 driver.
/proc/scsi/ncr53c8xx-0/ctrl
< info about ctrl 0 driver.
/proc/scsi/ncr53c8xx-0/devices
< info about devices on ctrl 0 .
/proc/scsi/ncr53c8xx-0/?????
< further info about devices &/or ctrl 0 .

(If scsi0 (from dmesg) is ncr53c8xx-0 then a link or pointer back
to scsi0 may be in order.)

/proc/net/eepro100-0 < dir to info about ctrl 0 driver.
/proc/net/eepro100-0/ctrl
< info about ctrl 0 driver.
/proc/net/eepro100-0/????
< info about ????

(If eth0 (from dmesg) is eepro100-0 then a link or pointer back
to eth0 may be in order.)

IE: xxxx-xxxxx-0 is the first instance of the driver xxxx-xxxxx
in the system.

Tia, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Still in Progress . IE: No Progress To Report ;-) <-|