Re: Dropping a.out support

Robert Wuest (rwuest@sire.vt.com)
Sat, 03 May 1997 08:42:31 -0500

Bradley M Keryan wrote:

> Dropping a.out development doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as I
> thought. I just installed (the apparently ELF-only) ld.so-1.9.2 (which
> doesn't have ld.so, just ld-linux). I can still run a.out binaries,
> because ld-linux.so.1.9.2 works fine with ld.so.1.8.9. Just make sure you
> preserve the following files:
>
> /lib/ld.so
> /lib/ld.so.1.8.9
> and the contents of /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
>
> Ignore my (stupid) post about having a separate interpreter/dynamic
> linker/loader: a.out and ELF already have separate linker/loaders.
>
> I don't see any problem, as long as the old ld.so continues to function,
> as the a.out libraries and programs aren't going to change . . .
>
> Brad Keryan
> keryan@andrew.cmu.edu
> http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/user/keryan
> finger keryan@andrew.cmu.edu for my PGP public key

Just be careful if you install the rpm ld.so-1.9.2-1.i386.rpm. It
appearently wipes out the old ld.so without replacing it, or at least,
a.out stopped working after I upgraded with it :-(. So I got
ld.so-1.9.2.tar.gz
and recompiled it with AOUT_SUPPORT and all seems well again ;-).

If a.out support really goes away, shouldn't the package be renamed
ld-linux.so-n.n.n?

--
Robert Wuest, PE                Empowered           Kemet Electronics
Sirius Engineering Company         by           robertwuest@kemet.com