Re: Repeat the Ending

Paul H. Hargrove (hargrove@sccm.Stanford.EDU)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 14:38:54 -0700 (PDT)

Jon Lewis writes:
[snip]
> What serial console? :)
> I realize there are unofficial patches for it. I'd love to be using a
> serial console, if only it were part of Linus's kernel source. I've got a
> spare RocketPort 16 port card I could wire into most of the systems.

I've not tried it, but v2.1.25 adds the file
Documentation/serial-console.txt which gives instructions on how to
use a serial console. The instructions say nothing about applying any
patches, so I can only assume that it is now in Linus's kernel source.

> For the average user with a standalone PC running Linux, if there's a mono
> card (herc clone), then there is no scroll back...unless that's somehow
> been added recently.
[snip]

I agree with Alan Cox's earlier post: screen is the correct tool for
scroll back, not a more complicated console driver. The only case I
am aware of that would really need another way is the issue of boot
messages, and I think a serial console should cover that case pretty
well.

If you have a server machine with a mono card then perhaps you should
see about using syslogd to keep your error messages. Combined with a
cron job for rotating the log files you can maintain a "scroll back"
of an arbitrary period of time. You don't even need to modify the
server processes; try something like:
/usr/sbin/some_server 2>&1 | logger -t "some_server"

I missed the original post, so forgive me if I've missed something important.

--
Paul H. Hargrove                   All material not otherwise attributed
hargrove@sccm.stanford.edu         is the opinion of the author or a typo.