Re: intel penguin bootlogo

Gerd Knorr (kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 00:03:27 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Jacques Gelinas wrote:

> > > Intel Linux deeply need a penguin! Would
> > > it be possible to draw one penguin per processor detected for SMP kernel.
> >
> > I hooked this into the vga setup code, very early in the boot process,
> > even before switching to protected mode. As far I know, at this point
> > linux does'nt know how much processors the box has.
>
> Yes, but if I understand properly, to draw a penguin with your code is
> simply a matter of "printk'ing" some chars to the screen. Maybe the
> drawing could be repeated later when the processors are detected.

Yes, should work. But if you want to paint them side by side, printing a
new one after booting the next processor, things get a bit tricky. You
have to do cursor positioning (possible with printk?), and keep in mind
that everything what you prink() will appear in the message buffer, so you
could confuse klogd and friends with that. You could have a serial
console, ...

There a few things more you have to think about. But as I hav'nt a SMP
box, someone else would have to do this job :-)

> Or you could create a 1 cell penguin (is this possible ?) and then the SMP
> detection would simply print that amount of penguins separated by a space.

Hmm, took the current 64x64 logo, scaled down do 16x16 (that would fit
into two chars)... Bad idea, hardly to recognice as penguin, _very_ small.

Gerd