Re: mmx support with smp

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:06:14 +0200 (METDST)

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Ricky Beam wrote:

> Letting the chips fall where they may, I quote Jeremy A. Gilbert:
> >
> >Don,
> >
> > I belive that since the MMX registers are overlayed over the
> >FPUs floating point registers, any OS which properly performs context
> >switching for the FPU will support MMX by default. This was probably a
> >neccesary design aspect for Intel, since it seems to have made a definate
> >commitment towards backward compatability. (If they were gonna add more
> >registers, they might as well add more general purpose ones to.)
> >
> >Jeremy
> >

> But isn't there some other things going on insode the CPU re: FPU/MMX use?
> If you context switch a task off a processor the is using MMX, then load
> any other process expecting FPU setup...

Jeremy is right there. The floating point save and restore context
instructions simply transfer the contents of all the FP/MMX registers
and do not care whether this corresponds to an FP or MMX context since they
do not operate on the data. As Intel says:

"The MMX state is aliased upon the Intel Architecture floating-point
state. No new state or mode is added to support the MMX technology. The
same floating-point instructions that save and restore the floating-point
state also handle the MMX state (for example, during context switching)."

> As I remember, there is a price (a heavy one) for switching back and forth
> between MMX and FPU usage. The kernel may not be able to tell what mode
> the application has put the CPU in. We shall see, I'm sure.

There is a (high) price when you switch between FPU and MMX within a thread,
but context switching costs remain the same (more expensive on SMP than UP).

Gabriel.

BTW [offtopic]: A few days ago, in a bookstore here (Granada, Spain), I
found a book on Linux with a sticker on it claiming (in spanish): "Includes
CD-ROM with Linux version 3.0.0". Needless to say, I didn't buy that.