RE: Kernel cpu selection

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:29:05 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Scott Lampert wrote:

> So setting the processor type basically just sets the data
> alignment boundaries? Rumours have been floating around for a long time
> that the CPU selection subtly influences code in other parts of the
> kernel. As I'm not proficient enough to go through the code and look for
> such instances I have to take what you kernel guys tell me on faith. :)

Off hand I can't think of anything other than the 386/486 difference
that is controlled by compile time options. All other chip specific
features are controlled by run time tests. Except, as you say,
code alignment.

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |