Re: A more accurate System.map, including modules

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 00:54:29 +1000

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:38:24 +0200 (MET DST),
Hans Lermen <lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de> wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Keith Owens wrote:
>> Basically the insmod -m approach is fine for static environments where
>> you control which modules are loaded but I wanted something that would
>> work with kerneld as well. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>AFAIK the user space kerneld uses modprobe, which uses insmod ;-)

But modprobe does not support the -m flag. Even if it did, kerneld
would have to be changed to pass the -m flag to modprobe and if you had
an old version, modprobe would fail. Or you change modprobe to always
pass -m to insmod but where does the -m output get logged to when
invoked from kerneld? Then there is the question of logging which
modules have been removed. Too many changes and there is a much
simpler way, see the example wrapper script I just mailed.