Re: Pentium DEATH in user-mode

Adam Wiggins (madman@zip.com.au)
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 21:44:01 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Alain Knaff wrote:

> In linux, you wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 17:37:07 -0500 (EST)
> > From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
> >
> > The following user-mode program will stop the internal clock
> > of a Pentium.
> >
> >My, this certainly made the rounds today, I've seen this 10 times
> >already. Someone must be yapping about it...
> >
> >Oh well, Intel is in for some good press...
>
> Indeed, some bad press is coming their way... But don't count on
> their stock price falling: the problem does not exist for Pentium Pro
> and Pentium II, so this might encourage some people to upgrade!

I've heard some rumours that the microcode rom on pentium's can be
modified. So far intel seem to be quiet about the whole thing. I for one
dont want to upgrade from pentium based machines and this bug is
unacceptable. I want to be able to run secure linux servers with telnet
access and not have to worry about a hardware bug letting users crash the
box.
cheers Adam