Re: 2.1.72/3: boot problems

kwrohrer@enteract.com
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:03:01 -0600 (CST)

And lo, Myrdraal saith unto me:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 1997 at 10:59:55AM -0500, Bill Hawes wrote:
> > Try making CONFIG_UNIX=y instead of m. Someone posted an analysis of the
> > problem -- it seems there's a Catch 22 because loading a module needs
> > CONFIG_UNIX to communicate with kerneld.
> For what it's worth, my system has been happily using CONFIG_UNIX as a module
> since the capability was there. I get the 'ouch' commend about kerneld, but
> after that everything works nicely.
> You DO haveto add 'alias net-pf-1 unix' to /etc/modules.conf, though.
I found out I had CONFIG_UNIX turned off, despite having done a
"make oldconfig", knowing it needed turning on, and not even finding it
immediately once I went looking for it with make xconfig... (At least
grep didn't miss it in .config...)

Did I really do something that stupid, is make oldconfig unreliable, or
was somebody dumb enough to make it default to "N"? I'm leaning towards
the second option, as there *were* things make oldconfig asked me about,
but it was just a new uber-IDE-DMA option...

Keith