Re: Error in kernel/signal.c(2.1.82) **FIXED**

Adam Heath (adam@brainiac.egr.msu.edu)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:01:07 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> > Running make clean, make dep works fine. However, running make zImage,
> > errors out in kernel/signal.c. Updating linux/config.h to what is below
> > fixed the problem.
>
> That's odd. That isn't needed. All four flavors of config
> define AUTOCONF_INCLUDED when they write out include/linux/autoconf.h.
>
> > I did a grep on all Config.in's, Makefiles, and *.h, and AUTOCONF_INCLUDED
> > is not defined anywhere.
>
> You need to be more thorough than that. :) I keep a virgin source
> tree on my disk, straight out of the tar.gz file from ftp.kernel.org.
> I never write on this tree. I grep like this:
>
> cd linux-2.1.82
> files=`find * -type f -print | sort`
> egrep AUTOCONF_INCLUDED $files | less -S
>
> ... and sure enough, scripts/Menuconfig defines AUTOCONF_INCLUDED.
> So does scripts/Configure and scripts/tkgen.c.
>
> Perhaps you were doing something to Menuconfig and you broke this
> line?

Yes, I have been modifying Menuconfig. But I though I only removed the
help functions. I don't remember doing anything to AUTOCONF_INCLUDED. It
was removed, and I have put it back. This is NOT a bug report.

> If there is some way to produce an include/linux/autoconf.h file
> that does not define AUTOCONF_INCLUDED, I am interested in a juicy
> bug report with a lot of details: the text of the compilation messages
> and complete copies of .config and include/linux/autoconf.h.

Re: my removing the help functions. I did it so that the *config scripts
would call my external scripts/help routine. Check the list archives for
info.

Adam

ps: I am attemping to convert Menuconfig to "C." Wish my luck!