Re: [Patch] SMP-IOAPIC NMI Software Watchdog driver, io-apic-patch-2.1.85-D

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:51:45 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> Only one. Given this "watchdog" seems completely different to real watchdogs
> (for now anyway) it really ought to live elsewhere in the config file in
> its debug functionality (kernel debug options) until someone writes an
> actual watchdog API driver using it for reboots

I think it makes sense on production systems as well, you can think of the
NMI-watchdog as a 'more reliable watchdog timer'. While normal watchdog
timers can be stopped by buggy kernel code, NMI timers cannot. I plan to
add some trivial hooks to fold this new functionality transparently into
softdog.c, so it will work out of box with existing watchdog daemons, the
only difference that on SMP the thing will be a bit more reliable. This is
why the config option is amongst Char Devices/Watchdogs.

of course a real watchdog card can do even more.

-- mingo