Re: March 1998 article comparing NT/Unix/Linux as web servers

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:18:30 +1300

[OFFTOPIC and Without wishing to provoke yet another NT vs Linux
flamewar/thread..]

From: "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net>
Subject: March 1998 article comparing NT/Unix/Linux as web servers
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:27:24 -0500 (EST)
Cc: sdw@lig.net

They only compared Caldera OpenLinux 1.1. RedHat would have been much
better.

Err... excuse my ignorance, but why?

[...]

Also, he mentions that it comes with ASP Web scripting, Web server
Software (IIS), Transaction Processing (TP) monitoring (Transaction
Server), message-oriented middleware (MOM or MSMQ) and MS Management
Console (MMC). Not once does he mention that these have further
license that must be paid for in many circumstances. For instance,
the Web Server is only licensed as aan Internet server, Intranet use
requires client licensing.

In many ways 'asp' is quite powerful. There are similar solutions for linux
but I've yet to find one as fully featured with a good database integration.

If someone knows of something like this, or is interested in developing
something along these lines then please let me know.

He does indicate that the Unix boxes are far more reliable and faster.

Yeah... our NT web servers are lucky to have 10 days uptime, the unix ones
often have 100+ (and even then are usually manually restarted for some
reason or other).

-Chris