Re: 2.0.34-pre2 Alan breaks DOSEMU

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:31:05 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> Actually it lets you oops several things. Theres also a problem with the
> current code and selectors on a 486 that doesnt clear the upper bits

The oops is totally harmless - it's better to get a harmless oops than to
break anything by trying to be clever and failing.

> I've got a fix from Solar for this for pre3.

As far as I can tell, the better fix is just to not do the checks, as the
CPU will do the (correctly) anyway later. In short, the added "fix" was
much worse than the alledged problem it "fixes".

> The real problem is we don't have any kind of exception handler for return
> to user space (BSD spots and handles the exception) we should do this for
> 2.1.x

I don't see why this is even needed. At worst we could add some special
code to "die_if_kernel()" that notices that we're just about to return to
user mode and that it's not really kernel any more even though it looks
like it. But it really is just a matter of disabling a printout rather
than trying to _fix_ anything.

Linus